Embracing a Philosophy of Sacred Civic Action: Honoring God through Political Engagement

August is celebrated as the month of "new beginnings" because August is the 8th month of the year. The number 8 signifies a new birth or new beginnings in the Bible. In my life, I have experienced many new beginnings as it relates to my relationships, my work, my well-being; physically, emotionally and spiritually. Throughout all my starting over and beginning again, there was one thing that was constant and that was my service to God and others. This has not always been true for me but it has been my life for the past two decades. Service to God through my service to people has helped me in more ways than I can think of. The Bible says in Proverbs 11:25 "The generous will prosper; those who refresh others will themselves be refreshed." I think I have been generous through my giving of time, spiritual gifts, and resources to others and therefore I have experienced a refreshing even in times of frustration and fear. 

August 5th I released my new book "Sacred Civic Action: Quick Guide to Engaging in Civic Life"; another new beginning and new chapter of my ministry. Sacred Civic Action purpose is to educate, engage and empower people to take civic action. Sacred Civic Action is not just a book but it's a philosophy I embrace. The book is not just about politics and elections & voting, its so much more. Sacred Civic Action is about how we love and serve one another. I hear the concerns from people about separation of church and State and I've heard people say that church isn't the place to engage politics and government affairs. Well my response to that is I believe the church and sacred spaces are absolutely the place and space to have these conversations. So are we just going to embrace all things secular in the government space and separate anything that represents sacredness? Government was God's idea and we as followers of Jesus should care about politics. I'm a minister of the gospel of Jesus and from my understanding Jesus was all about the people. And politics is all about the people. 

Civic Action refers to Acts taken to contribute to the well-being of your community or society as a whole. This can include volunteering, participating in local governance, advocating for social change, and engaging in activities that promote civic responsibility and community improvement. Civic action aims to address issues, support public services, and enhance the quality of life within a community.

Sacred Civic Action aims to blend spiritual principles with civic responsibilities to educate, engage, and empower individuals to contribute in making a positive impact on our communities. 

Engaging in politics is an opportunity to honor God and show love to our neighbor. As believers our work begin and end with Jesus. It's not about me but it's about making Christ known in the earth. 

The Bible says in the book of James chapter 2 verse 17 that " Faith without works is dead." James is calling for people of Faith who proclaim to be believers to apply what we believe. We need to do what we say. Do not just talk about what you believe. Put what you believe into practice. 


Reflection Questions:

1. What are your thoughts about the current state of our country right now?

2. What are some issues you're concerned about that you believe needs to be addressed? What are some changes you want to see in your community? 



Follow me on Facebook or LinkedIn. Check out my Website. 











Cynthia Young
Certified Life Coach Minister



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living a Life That Honors God: A Path to Purpose and Fulfillment

Navigating Parenthood Outside of Marriage: A Biblical Perspective